Banned Gasoline Additive Detected In Senior Center Water
SHELTER ISLAND, N.Y. (AP) — Officials in a Long Island town say they've found a banned gasoline additive in the water at a building that houses the area senior center.
Shelter Island officials say methyl tertiary butyl ether was found last week following a routine test by the Suffolk County Department of Health Services. Newsday reports the gas-blending compound was banned by New York state in 2004 and set the safe drinking water concentration at 10 parts per billion.
Officials say testing showed MBTE at 12 parts per billion on May 21.
Residents are asked to avoid drinking the water at the center. Bottled water will be provided.
Studies indicate the compound is not highly toxic, but it can cause headaches and nausea in longer periods of exposure.
Information from: Newsday, http://www.newsday.com