Cause Of McGill’s Fire Determined
The cause of the fire that destroyed Mr. McGill's restaurant early Monday morning has been determined to be electrical.
The Herkimer County Office of Emergency Services Cause and Origin Team discovered that the fire was started because of an electrical defect along the front wall sill plate of the building.
Investigators found evidence of significant electrical failure in the area where the fire started.
Interviews and surveillance video also supported the investigator's findings.
The building was unoccupied at the time of the fire.
The owner of McGill's/DePalma's who leased the building did not carry fire loss insurance for the building, but the building's owner was insured.