It's called Winter Storm Vulcan and it may pack quite a punch. Forecasts now call for 10-16 inches of snow. Earlier predictions had it arriving tonight, but now the National Weather Service is forecasting it to arrive early afternoon. Click for snowfall map forecast details.
The warning goes into effect at 5 a.m. Wednesday (3/12) and continues into Thursday morning. Currently it looks like the most snow will occur Wednesday night, although we may have to battle some sleet and freezing rain on the Wednesday afternoon commute. Here's the forecast details.
* LOCATIONS...ONEIDA... ONONDAGA... MADISON... YATES... SENECA...
SOUTHERN CAYUGA... STEUBEN... AND SCHUYLER COUNTIES.
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...BOONVILLE...PENN YAN...SENECA FALLS...
* HAZARDS...HEAVY SNOW MAY MAKE TRAVEL EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS. SNOW
MAY MIX WITH SOME SLEET DURING THE MORNING. BLOWING AND
DRIFTING SNOW WILL DEVELOP WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON INTO THURSDAY
WITH DANGEROUS WIND CHILLS DEVELOPING.
* ACCUMULATIONS...10 TO 16 INCHES OF SNOW.
* TIMING...SNOW WILL DEVELOP EARLY ON WEDNESDAY. THE SNOW MAY
MIX WITH SLEET...OR SOME RAIN DURING THE MORNING. ALL SNOW IS
EXPECTED BY EARLY AFTERNOON AND LASTING THROUGH WEDNESDAY
NIGHT. HEAVY SNOWFALL IS MOST LIKELY FROM LATE MORNING THROUGH
* TEMPERATURES...TEMPERATURES WILL BE NEAR FREEZING ON WEDNESDAY
MORNING THEN DROP INTO THE SINGLE DIGITS BY THURSDAY MORNING. TEMPERATURES MAY DROP RAPIDLY DURING THE AFTERNOON CAUSING A FLASH FREEZE ON AREA ROADWAYS.
* WINDS...NORTH WINDS INCREASING WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON TO 15 TO 25
MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 MPH AND CONTINUING THROUGH THE
* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL DUE TO BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW.
RAPID COOLING MAY CAUSE ROADS TO FREEZE QUICKLY.
A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW...
SLEET...AND ICE ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. THIS WILL MAKE TRAVEL
VERY HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE.
Get the latest weather updates here