Hastings Man Facing Possible Jail Time For Illegal Hunting
Utica, NY (WIBX) - An investigation into illegal hunting in the City of Utica led to the arrest of a Hastings man. Utica police say they were called to a report of shots fired in the area of Calvary Cemetery on September 13, when they located a deer that had been shot within the city limits.
According to UPD, several suspects fled into the densely wooded area following a brief foot chase. An unoccupied vehicle was found in the area that contained weapons and ammunition. The Department of Environmental Conservation joined the investigation that subsequently led to the arrest of 23-year-old Hieu T. Nguyen.
Nguyen is facing the following charges and fines:
- Taking of big game during the closed season: $250-$2,000 fine and/or 1 year in jail
- Possess a loaded gun inside a motor vehicle: $200-$1,000 fine and/or 90 days in jail
- Take deer with artificial light: $250-$2,000 fine and/or 1 year in jail
- Take wildlife while in or on a motor vehicle $0-$250 fine and/or 15 days in jail
- Discharging a firearm within 500 ft of a house-$200-$1,000 fine and/or 90 days in jail
- Discharge of a firearm in the city limits-15 days in jail
Officials say the suspect's illegal hunting in the dark and out of season within the city limits, endangered the residents of the area.