Herkimer Mayor Discusses Fire at 210 N Main Street
Herkimer Mayor Tony Brindisi is thanking the firefighters who helped extinguish this week’s fire at a mixed use building on Main Street, and the Red Cross volunteers who are still assisting the 27 people who were displaced.
The fire at 210 North Main Street was likely caused by an electrical issue, Brindisi said. He said it did not appear that building was a total loss from the outside, but added that he was unsure of its condition considering there was smoke and water damage throughout.
While none of the residents were injured in the fire, three firefighters were injured, Brindisi said. Two fire fighters were struck by falling debris while another sprained an ankle, he said.
Mallory Scheve, executive director of the Mohawk Valley Chapter of the Red Cross says the agency provided money for those affected to find immediate lodging. Long term recovery case workers are assisting the families to develop a plan for housing and other needs, she said.
Scheve said the agency is in need of money and volunteers. Donations can be given online at RedCross.org. To volunteer or to donate directly to those affected by Tuesday’s fire, call 315-733-4666.