Impact Of Government Shutdown
The first government shutdown in more than 17 years went into effect overnight after the House and Senate failed to reach a deal.
What does the government shutdown mean?
- All National Parks are closed, including the Statue of Liberty and Fort Stanwix in Rome
- Mail delivery will continue as usual
- All 116 federal prisons will remain open
- Federal courts will continue operating until about the middle of October
- Social Security and Medicare benefits would continue, but there could be delays in processing new disability applications
- Unemployment benefits are still going out.
- The military’s 1.4 million active duty personnel stay on duty, but their paychecks could be delayed.
- Other military personnel will be furloughed
- Federal air traffic controllers and airport screeners will remain on the job