Keeler Show Notes for Friday, June 6th
Friday, June 6th, 2014
WIBX VIP Club Gripe of the Day is: Jim Martin
Hometown of the Day: Boonville
Newsmaker of the Day: D-Day
- Village elections to take place in Ilion and Herkimer. Chuck Lester who does the stilts at the Boilermaker is one of the candidates running.
- Bill talks about a letter that was sent out to the Village of Ilion residents in their utility bill that was filled with cryptic messages.
- This letter inside of the village of Ilion utility bill could be a movie trailer.
- Jeff compares this letter to a church bulletin.
- It's going to be a beautiful day.
- There are a lot of people out there in the community that we can't talk to on the air. A lot of that may have to do with the website Topix.
- They would rather just do their job and avoid the limelight or the media attention.
- Ralph calls in to talk about the crazy letter the Ilion mayor sent out. His biggest issue with the letter is the the fact that the Ilion mayor mentioned the firing of an employee.
- Bill explains his gripe and why it's 93-year-old Jim Martin. If he can jump out of a plane and fought in the war and did it again at 93, Bill shouldn't complain about his aches and pains.
Ray Stagich - The Weather Channel
- Ray gives us his weather forecast, oh so wonderfully!
Willie Waffle - Weekend Movie Reviews
The Fault In Our Stars - A teen girl with cancer falls in love for the first time.
Edge of Tomorrow - Tom Cruise is fighting aliens, and comes back and relives the same day over and over again.
Professor Daniel Marenda - Drexel University
- Professor Marenda is the senior co-Author of a study that tests the effect of artificial sweeteners on flies.
- This experiment first started with his son's science experiment and has grown exponentially.
Jim Zecca - Stewart's Shops
- Jim Zecca calls up to discuss Gene Allen and the questions of conflict of interest. He also talked about his feelings toward the East Utica Stewart's location.
Ilion Utility Bill Letter Story
- Chuck Lester calls to weigh in on this issue and comments on the letter sent out by the mayor. He came out in defense of the Mayor and her decision to mail out the letter and mention the firing.
- Kal Socolof contributes to the conversation by commenting on the utility bill letter and talks about what he would do differently as Ilion trustee.
- Kal believes the newsletter should not be in a utility bill.
Bryon Backenson - Epidemiologist
- Bryon is from the New York State Dept. of Health. He is on to discuss the ticks problem plaguing our state.
- What is an epidemiologist? Studies a disease for a population numbers at once.
- People don't realize that there are 30 different types of ticks. Deer ticks are more common and are moving into areas like Utica and Syracuse. They love to feed on deer.
- Lyme disease can be pretty rough, but if you catch it early things can go well.
- How do you prevent tick bites? Prevent bites in the first place. Wear light colored clothes to see a tick crawling. Also, you can use repellents, but pay attention to labels and DEET is the best to prevent ticks.
- Other things to prevent with your yard or landscaping, try to separate lawn from woods edge with mulch or crush gravel.
- Keep things that attract rodents away from the home or in remote locations because ticks can get the disease from mice.
- Ticks come out during certain times of the year.
Hassan Giordano - Obama's Response To Bergdahl
- Hassan is a Political Insider and Campaign Consultant.
- Hassan believes that an apology may not be necessary for Obama because that's what he believes an explanation is necessary.
- He addressed the Obama/Clinton relationship.
Bob Bill - Utica Professional Hockey Alumni Association
- Bob has worked with former Utica professional hockey teams and now does work with the Comets.
- Before we get to Bob we spoke with Tom. Tom gives us an update on the Brewers and Diamond Dawgs game. The final score was 3-2.
- Another caller Bill, asks about the MLB draft and whether or not Andrew Taft of Clinton was drafted.
Another Yankees/Red Sox Qualifier...
- Ron is a qualifier and we will pick 2 out of the 5 on Monday and those two will go head to head against each other for the tickets courtesy of ALS Utica.
Belmont Stakes This Weekend
- JoJo has a $24 Tri-Box with numbers 2-6-9-11...LOCK IT UP!
- California Chrome is favored to win the Triple Crown.
That's it for the week. Have a great weekend!