Keeler Show Notes for Monday, May 12th
Monday, May 12th, 2014
– Busy Weekend it was. Mother’s Day weekend always seems to be that way.
– Local pollen alert still in effect. It’s only a matter of time before we begin to see that yellow pollen that blows around and sticks to everything!
– What do you get a Mom (Bill’s wife Alison) who has everything for Mother’s Day? A key lime tree from Chester’s Flowers of course. Be careful of those thorns though.
– The big story of the weekend was Michael Sam, the first openly gay draft pick, was drafted by the St. Louis Rams and sparked a flutter of controversy because he kissed his boyfriend live on TV.
Here is the Kiss:
Subscribe to WIBX 950 on
– This began a conversation comparing Michael Sam’s sexuality to Tim Tebow’s religious beliefs.
It Opened Up A Real “Can of Worms:”
– Callers react to the occurrence and they are divided.
Ray Stagich – The Weather Channel
– Before we got to Ray we wrapped up, at least for this hour, the Michael Sam discussion.
– Ray gives us his Weather Channel forecast and you can see Ray on TV Saturdays from 4am – 7am.
– Good day today. Mostly cloudy with a high of 79.
– Weekend is looking pretty good!
– We also talked about the difference between Partly Cloudy and Partly Sunny.
– Donald Sterling speaks out for the first time with CNN’s Anderson Cooper. He said he made a mistake and he also spoke in disappointment of Magic Johnson.
– Does a racist realize he is one when he’s in his 80s and is brought up a certain way?
– The rhetoric is going from get rid of Donald Sterling to get rid of the Sterling Family. Is that right? Is there proof she’s a racist? She spoke with Barbara Walters and said she is not giving up the team?
– If the NBA ousts her, she will fight it. She was shocked at what her husband said.
John Zogby – Zogby Analytics
– We discussed the Michael Sam situation with John.
– Obama’s Report Card for the week. His approval rating dipping.
– Benghazi back in the news. John believes it’s not a game change.
– The consensus is to move on from this Administration and whether or not it will effect Hillary’s candidacy remains to be seen.
– As big as the email was, it’s not a smoking gun. Americans care about finances and America’s standing in the world.
– John gives his thoughts on Republican Congressional Primary race. He believes it’s an uphill for Tenney. Compares this Primary to those of the Sherwood Boehlert era.
They Say It’s Your Birthday…
Happy Birthday to you:
Angelina Bonomo from New Hartford
Keira Ciufo from New Hartford
Kevin Gotie from Rome
Kandee Simpson from Utica
Kevin Gotie from Rome
Congratulations to Angelina Bonomo. You win the cake from the Florentine Pastry Shop.
– Donald Sterling discussion continues and we discover a new term called “Voicism.” This is a serious situation.
– We played the audio from the Donald Sterling interview with Anderson Cooper.
– A new episode of “Plate Night” will premiere on Thursday! Kevin’s Bistro will be featured!
– Discussion on Michael Sam and his sexuality continues.
– Mike calls in.
– Answer the Question of the Day on our Website!
Frank Calls In About The Michael Sam Kiss
– During the news break, Frank called in to weigh in on the Michael Sam kiss over the weekend.
Ron Moshier – Utica OD
– We start off talking with Ron about the Sports and News departments combining with Sterling and Michael Sam situations.
– Ron also talks High School Baseball with us. Weather has improved allowing for games to be played.
– New Hartford in trouble due to injuries and illness. They are 12-2 overall.
– Great games tonight including NH vs. Whitesboro, Clinton vs. Holland Patent, and Westmoreland vs. Mount Markham. Hopefully the weather will hold out!
– Regular season is ending soon despite the weather. The weather takes its toll on the pitching rotation.
– Herkimer College had a big win in a true walk off fashion.
Greeley Ford – Classified
– Greeley is on the board of the Stanley and they recently had a press conference.
– We briefly talked about the load-in of the theatre and the setup. The renovation has helped any act come into the space. The Stanley is great for wedding receptions as well.
– Classified with be playing with the Utica POPS Orchestra. They ended the band a year ago and they have been rehearsing like crazy and the first public performance will be in July at the Stanley with the Orchestra.
– Many of the members are back and an original as well.
Phyllis Ellis – Oneida County Director of Health
– Before we got to Phyllis, we talked about Kristine’s discovery of “Voicism.” Not many online references to it.
– Oneida County receives a $1 Million grant to improve the condition of older homes.
– Upgrades include identifying areas of the counties which shows low income housing, lead levels, and kids with illness due to conditions of old homes. Over 5 years there will be actions taken to reduce illness and death due to these conditions.
– Another goal is to reduce emergency department visits and hospitalizations.
Jim Simpson – The Ride For Missing Children
– Training is important this is not an easy ride. It’s a 90 mile trek.
– Jim met Bill Keeler through some pretty interesting circumstances.
– Weather will be cooler for the riders this year and it’s the 18th year.
– They’re hoping it will be the biggest and best year yet.
– This is the biggest fund raiser for The National Center for Missing and Exploiting Children.