Keeler Show Notes for Thursday, June 19th, 2014
– We do a little behind-the-scenes radio talk to start off the morning.
– The U.S. Patent and Trademark office has rescinded the trademark on the Redskins logo. This could be a move by the White House to force the name change.
– The Dan Snyder conversation: Selling the team vs. Changing the name. Dan is like the Jerry Jones of Washington. He loves being a football owner.
– Kristine officially makes the prediction today that the Redskins will change their name.
– We preview a little bit of what’s to come today.
– We take some calls on the Redskins issue.
– We discuss alternate names and Andrew believes that Ray Halbritter is doing this for a Giants fan.
– The big question ultimately is can this trademark legally be revoked?
– Ray Meier calls in to talk about this congressional primary race. He of all people knows about negative ADs and how it can effect a campaign, especially when other people pay for them.
– Jim Piccola from the state DOT talks to us about the Oriskany Blvd. ramp which will be closed probably until around October. Jim gives us some possible alternative routes.
– The progress being made by DOT is moving along very quickly!
Ray Stagich – The Weather Channel
– Ray gives us a good outlook on the forecast for the weekend, there will be some colder temperatures in the overnight hours and there will be sunshine this upcoming weekend and Summer arrives at 6:51 AM on Saturday!
Subscribe to WIBX 950 on
– A woman felt like she was having a serious medical condition and to prove it to the doctors she decided to selfie film herself to show that she was having a stroke. She had 3 mini-strokes and the video she took proved it all. The doctors thought that it was anxiety.
Subscribe to WIBX 950 on
– When a soldier returns from drills his cat goes nuts waiting for him and jumps into his arms when he gets in the house.
John Zogby – Zogby Analytics
– Before we get to John we talk about the fact that Gary Glitter, creator of the “Hey!” Song you hear in sports arenas. He is now facing additional sex charges for underage sex
– Here is his picture going into a London court appearance: https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/479560297439834112.
– Now to John:
– Obama’s approval rating is down and they are bad but not devastating. Some polls have him around 40%. When you get into specific areas like foreign policy it could be down into the 30% range.
– John feels that despite his major faults, Obama will have had an iconic presidency. He has had several accomplishments including environmental, healthcare reform, and the fact that he is the first black president and was elected twice. He will be memorialized in Washington.
– Before we got to the sister of one of the West Canada seniors who almost couldn’t walk, we gave an interesting statistic that Americans care more about the FIFA World Cup than the NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs.
– Chelsey is the sister of one of the three teens who almost were not allowed to walk the stage on graduation because of the fact that they were loud in a hotel room on a school trip.
– Chelsey made it clear there were no drugs or alcohol involved, they were just boys being boys.
– Chelsey is very pleased that the results came to what they did with only community service expected now.
– The big question after this Primary on Tuesday is what happens afterwards? Will Claudia Tenney run for her Assembly seat again if she loses? If she wins what will Hanna do?
– History shows that Hanna’s win is not a foregone conclusion as history has shown.
– We continue the discussion about negative ADs and how some candidates do not have control over said advertisements.
– We have received information that petitions are being circulated for Tenney to run for her assembly seat.
Crazy and Ugly
– A woman called 911 to get back at her ex-boyfriend while he was sailing. She saw some attractive woman and some friends of her ex on the boat so she called the Coast Guard and said his ship was sinking. CRAZY!
– A dog owner in Baltimore is distraught after her dog got loose and was wandering. While the dog was loose the dog bit someone and the dog catcher got the dog and cut it’s throat long after the dog bit someone. UGLY!
No Hitter and Pink Floyd
– Before we get to Joe we talk about the Dodger’s pitcher Clayton Kershaw who pitched a No Hitter and had it not been for one error it may have been a perfect game. He was delighted and thrilled he could do it at home.
– Joe Borasky is promoting the screening of Pink Floyd’s The Wall on the big screen! It’s got extra footage and the sound will be incredible. $6 a ticket and you can get them by going to this website: https://www.vendini.com/ticket-software.html?t=tix&e=e2bbb8741ef80e284e1b7f7fccb0944e or by calling the Capitol Theatre at 337-6453.
Justin Horowitz – Vernon Downs
– Justin is the Regional Race Marketing Manager and he was on to promote the Ostrich races and Camel races at Vernon Downs tomorrow night at approx. 7:30 and 8:30.
– We also talked about a German man who has been deported who was a guard at a concentration camp who has been arrested. He has been living in America most of his life.
– We talk again about the disgusting story of the Baltimore Police officer slitting the dogs throat who got loose and bit someone.
– Ray Halbritter was on a few national news outlets last night to talk about the Redskins logo trademark withdrawl.
– West Canada and contracts in schools addressed again as well.
– William calls in to comment on the Redskins logo topic.
– A student in Minnesota was using social media and is suing his High School because after an anonymous comment called out the student for kissing a teacher and he sarcastically answering actually, yeah. He was suspended and expulsion was threatened as well. Does this go to far?
– It got so bad he had to transfer to another school his senior year and he’s suing for the torture he went through during his senior year.
John Naegele – McCraith Beverage
– Craft Beer of the Week!!!
– Naegele brought us in some delicious Brown’s Cream Ale. It’s a unique style and it’s quickly growing in popularity and it was one of the few beers invented in the US.
– The McCraith guys will be pouring at Saranac Thursday tonight so stop down and say hello.
– Dinosaur BBQ will now be featured at Fuel on Varrick St. on Thursdays.
Intern Ed’s World Cup Report
– Plate Night is up on our website now and the latest episode is Waterfront Grille!
– Our intern Ed Manne gives us a special World Cup report to close out the show. With a 2-1 margin, Americans prefer to watch the World Cup rather than the Stanley Cup Playoffs.
Subscribe to WIBX 950 on