Kevin Durant Withdraws From Team USA, FIBA World Cup
Team USA Basketball will be without one more NBA superstar for the FIBA World Cup.
ESPN.com is reporting the Oklahoma City Thunder’s Kevin Durant announced today that he is withdrawing from consideration, citing “physical and mental fatigue.”
Team USA director Jerry Colangelo said Durant reached out to him and coach Mike Krzyzewski Thursday and told them he is too drained from the NBA season and would not be able to give his all to Team USA.
“This was an extremely difficult decision as I take great pride in representing our country,” Durant said in a statement. “I know that I owe it to my USA Basketball teammates to be totally invested in the experience. After going through training camp with USAB, I realized I could not fulfill my responsibilities to the team from both a time and energy standpoint.””I need to take a step back and take some time away, both mentally and physically in order to prepare for the upcoming NBA season. I will be rooting for USAB and look forward to future opportunities with them.”
Some speculate that Durant’s decision could be heavily influenced by Paul George’s horrific injury that happened during a scrimmage last week, but Durant reportedly shot down that argument.
The FIBA World Cup features 24 national teams and will be held August 30 through September 14 in Spain.