Margaret Thatcher’s Funeral [VIDEO LINK]
Funeral services for Baroness Margaret Thatcher, former British Prime Minister, are underway at this hour.
The official schedule for the funeral is as follows (times are British Time):
- 0800 Flags are lowered to half mast
- 0900 Doors open at Saint Paul’s Cathedral
- 0930 Streets are closed to official vehicles
- 0935 The gun carriage leaves Wellington Barracks
- 0945 Royal Navy, Royal Marines, the Army, and the Royal Air Force line the streets along the procession route
- 1000 Seating of guests at Saint Paul’s Cathedral.
- 1000 Coffin leaves Chapel of Saint Mary Undercroft. The coffin is dressed with a union flag. Three police motorcycles lead the hearse; an unmarked police car follows it.
- 1015 The coffin is put in Saint Clement Danes Church by civilian pall bearers
- 1015 The Lord Speaker, Lady D’Souza; the Commons Speaker, John Bercow; and the British Prime Minister, David Cameron, are shown to their seats at Saint Paul’s.
- 1025 The coffin is carried from Saint Clement Danes and placed atop a gun carriage of the King’s Troop Royal Horse Artillery.
- 1035 The Lord Mayor of the City of London, Roger Gifford, arrives at St Paul’s, followed by members of Baroness Thatcher’s family.
- 1045 The choir procession begins.
- 1045 The Queen of England and the Duke of Edinburgh arrive.
- 1055 The gun carriage arrives, met by a guard of honour from the First Battalion Welsh Guards.
- 1100 The bearer party carries the coffin into St Paul’s Cathedral and the funeral service begins
- 1155 Funeral service ends. Cathedral bells ring half-muffled as the hearse sets out for the Royal Hospital Chelsea. The chaplain of the Royal Hospital, Reverend Dick Whittington, accompanies the coffin. The Lord Mayor bids farewell to the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh.
- 1210 Guests begin to arrive at the Guildhall for a reception of friends and family. Foreign Secretary William Hague hosts a separate reception at the Mansion House for representatives from foreign VIPs.
- 1315 The official reception is held at Mansion House.
- 1430 The national anthem is played in each room by military musicians; the reception at Guildhall ends.
- 2000 Flags are raised from half mast at official buildings.