North Korea Is Revoking The Armistice That Ended The Korean War 60 Years Ago, Threatening Preemptive Strikes Against South Korea And The United States
An armistice agreement that put an end to the Korean War in 1953 is now receiving a death sentence.
Through its offcial newspaper, Rodong Sinmun, North Korea says it is nullifying the sixty-year old agreement. In a headline that reads across the front page, “All People are Soldiers, Whole Country is Front,” the North Korean Workers’ Party says the country is “…ready for decisive battle.”
The proclamations come on the heels of the United States performing joint military exercises with South Korea as tensions with the North continue to become more strained.
The United Nations notified the government of North Korea of the joint exercises, known collectively as operation “Key Resolve,” on February 21, 2013. Since then the government of North Korean leader Kim Jung Un has cut off ties with Seoul. Kim Yong Chol, a North Korean intelligence officer, said last week that the country was ready to deliver a “diversified precision nuclear strike” against the United States.