Contact Us

UPDATE: New Hartford House Fire [VIDEO] 3 Dead

Photo courtesy Bill Keeler

 

UPDATE: 02/16/2014 4:55pm The New Hartford Police Department is releasing the names of those involved in yesterday’s tragic fire.

Those treated at the hospital and released are: Janet M. Moore (homeowner, age 67), 27-year old Jessica Morinitti and her one-month old son Mason Hill, 27-year old Brandon Hill, and 2-year old Vincent Talerico.

Jennifer Moore (age 21) and two of Jessica’s sons – 7-year old Joshua Morinitti and 3-year old Jordan were killed in the fire.

UPDATE: 02/17/2014 10:34 am- Autopsy results show the three died of smoke inhalation and carbon monoxide toxicity.

Original Story:

The New Hartford Fire Department says two children and one young woman were killed in a house fire in the village on Saturday.  Meanwhile, six others have been taken to local hospitals for treatment.

Officials say the deceased are two boys, 3 and 7-years-old and a 21-year-old woman.  Their names will be announced following notification of family members.

CHECK OUT RAW VIDEO FOOTAGE OF FIRE AT BOTTOM OF STORY

New Hartford Police Lt. Timothy O'Neill and New Hartford Fire Chief Thomas Bolanowski speak with members of the media after a fire kills three on Osborn Road in New Hartford -February 15, 2014 (Photo Jeff Monaski/WIBX)
Photo by Jeff Monaski/ WIBX

“This is a horrible day for New Hartford,” said Lt. Timothy Oneill of the New Hartford Town Police.

New Hartford Fire Chief Thomas Bolanowski said the fire was fully engulfed upon arrival and it was so intense, fire fighters were prohibited from completing rescue efforts.

“Half the building collapsed during the fire,” he added.

The fire broke out at about 10:45 a.m. at 11 Osborn Road, behind Sangertown Square.  Initial reports had people, including two children, trapped inside the burning home and now police have confirmed three fatalities.

Fire 021514
(Photo by Jeff Monaski /WIBX)

One neighbor told WIBX that fire fighters were not able to get all of the children out of the house.

Sara Klossner of New Hartford said she was driving by the home when she saw flames coming from the top of the house.  ”I saw the front door open and a person ran out of the home and thick black smoke started coming out of the front door,” she said.  Klossner said she lived in a home across the street, but recently moved.

“I saw a man from the house I used to live in run out the front door and towards the home,” she said.  Klossner said 911 had already been called.

There were unconfirmed reports of a propane explosion but New Hartford Fire Chief Chief Tom Bolanowski said there is no evidence of that.

New Hartford, Clinton and Willowvale Fire Companies are at the scene. National Grid was called to cut the power.

Streetview 11 Osborn Rd New Hartford
(Photo courtesy of Google Street View)

Osborn Road is in the area directly behind the old Ponderosa on Seneca Turnpike.  "This is a horrible day for New Hartford, -Lt. Timothy Oneill of the New Hartford Town Police"

WIBX will have a complete update following the press conference.

Check back for details.   Updated at 3:45 p.m.

 

New Hartford Fire
(Photo by Jeff Monaski / WIBX)

Watch raw footage from fire from FDNY YouTube Channel:

Additional Local Coverage

Observer Dispatch coverage

WKTV coverage

WKTV’s Keith Hunt Shot this video as firefighters arrived

More From WIBX

Best of the Web

Leave a Comment

It appears that you already have an account created within our VIP network of sites on . To keep your points and personal information safe, we need to verify that it's really you. To activate your account, please confirm your password. When you have confirmed your password, you will be able to log in through Facebook on both sites.

Forgot your password?

*Please note that your points, prizes and activities will not be shared between programs within our VIP network.

It appears that you already have an account on this site associated with . To connect your existing account with your Facebook account, just click on the account activation button below. You will maintain your existing profile and VIP program points. After you do this, you will be able to always log in to http://wibx950.com using your Facebook account.

*Please note that your points, prizes and activities will not be shared between programs within our VIP network.

Please fill out the information below to help us provide you a better experience.

Register on WIBX 950 quickly by logging in with your Facebook account. It's just as secure, and no password to remember!

Not a Member? Sign Up Here

Register on WIBX 950 quickly by logging in with your Facebook account. It's just as secure, and no password to remember!