NYS Troopers Step Out For National Child Passenger Safety Week
Utica, NY (WIBX) - All this week, state troopers will be conducting safety checks as part of the National Child Passenger Safety Week campaign that kicked off over the weekend. Officials say the aim is to reduce the number of injuries or death faced by child passengers involved in car accidents. Through numerous checkpoints and daily patrols, troopers will not only enforce proper restraint of children in vehicles, but will also be on the look out for those in violation of the state’s safety belt laws.
In New York State, car accidents are the most common reasons why children under the age of one are send to the emergency room. Officials say when properly installed and used, child safety seats reduce fatal injuries by 71 percent for infants. The operation, which kicked off on September 18, will run through September 24.
Those who need help installing a child safety seat or have questions about child passenger safety can receive hands-on educational assistance by making an appointment with a certified child passenger safety (CPS) technician or by attending a child safety seat check-up event:
- September 17th -Village of Waterville Fire Department 12:00pm – 2:00 pm
- September 17th – Moyer’s Corner Fire Department (Hosted by Summerwood Pediatrics) 10:00am – 1:00pm
- September 18th – Fulton Walmart (Contact Troop D Traffic 366-6035) – 10:00am – 2:00pm
- September 21st – Oneida Walmart- Hosted by MCDOH – 3:30pm – 7:00pm
- September 24th – Town of Adams- South Jefferson Rescue Squad
- September 24th – Behind the Minoa Library (Hosted by the Town of Manlius PD) – 11:00am – 2:00pm
Additional dates and times can be found by visiting, www.safeny.com.