Residents Evacuated In Main St. School House Apt Fire
Whitesboro, NY (WIBX) - About 40 people were evacuated after another apartment fire. This time it happened at 181 Main Street School House Apartments.
Assistant Chief for the Whitesboro Fire Department, Dwayne Evans, says some kind of plastic item burning in apartment 211 seems to be the culprit. "We're investigating still at this time, but appears as though there's some kind of plastic fire that went in apartment 211. ... Fire was brought under control in about 15 minutes, but a lot of that was just searching for the seed of the fire, because it was in a piece of furniture equipment that we found the plastics burning," he said.
A firefighter at the scene, says the tenant explained that she was trying to grow sun flower seeds. He says it appears that something dropped down and landed on top of the plastic contraction the seeds were on. The official confirmed that a cigarette bud--assumed to belong to her boyfriend--was found near the burned plastic item. Residents have since been cleared to re-enter their apartments, however apartment 211 has been deemed uninhabitable. The Red Cross has been contacted to assist the victims.
Yesterday, a fire at the Old Clinton Carriage House Apartments in Clinton, displaced 14 people. Two avoided serious injury after jumping from their second story apartment to safety. Both fires are under investigation.