The Smithsonian Wants You To Help Choose The Name Of The New Giant Panda Cub [VIDEO]
Bao Bao, Ling Hua, Long Yun, Mulan, or Zhen Bao are the choices and the decision is yours – well, partially.
The Smithsonian is asking the public to decide what to name the new giant panda cub at the National Zoo.
To place a vote go to Smithsonian.com (or click here) now through November 22, 2013. The winning name will be announced on December 1, 2013.
What do the names mean (from Smithsonianmag.com)?
- Bao Bao precious, treasure
- Ling Hua darling, delicate flower
- Long Yun Long is the Chinese symbol of the dragon; Yun means charming; name is a sign of luck for panda cooperation between China and the United States.
- Mulan legendary young woman, a smart and brave Chinese warrior from the fifth century, popularized by the Disney movie of the same name; also the name for the magnolia flower in China and the United States
- Zhen Bao treasure, valuable