Top Ten Notable People With Connections to Utica, NY
Central New York is known for producing some of the biggest stars, athletes and business people. In Utica alone there are a number of famous people that either were born, or called the city home.
Here are the Top Ten Notable People Associated with Utica, NY.
1. Robert Esche: Esche played for several years in the NHL and for the U.S. Olympic team. He is currently the President of The Utica Comets.
2. Steve Wynn: Wynn is a world-renowned real estate developer, hotel and casino mogul and one of the biggest names in Las Vegas. Wynn was born in Utica, NY.
3. Mark Lemke: Lemke was a Major League Baseball player who was born in Whitesboro and went to high school at Notre Dame Junior/Senior High School.
4. Dick Clark: Clark may not have been born in Utica, but he received his start in the TV business at WKTV. During his tenure there he hosted a Country music television program.
5. Tiffany Pollard: Pollard was born and raised in Utica. She was the star of many Reality TV shows, most notably, VH1's Flavor of Love with Flavor Flav.
6. Joe Bonamassa: Joe is one of the greatest Blues artists in the world. Bonamassa still tours and performs to sell-out crowds everywhere. He has also toured with a number of great artists including Eric Clapton.
7. Will Smith: Will Smith was an NFL defensive standout. He played most of his career with the New Orleans Saints. Smith was tragically killed in a road rage incident in New Orleans in 2016.
8. Annette Funicello: This star of the screen was born in Utica in 1942. Funicello got her start as a member of The Mickey Mouse Club.
9. Tommy DeCarlo: DeCarlo was born in Utica, NY and has been the lead singer of the band Boston since 2008. He is not the only Utican to have been in that popular band. Fran Cosmo was also once in the band.
10. moe.: This very popular band is based out of the Utica area and makes Saranac references in some of their songs. They also sometimes return to the F.X. Matt Brewery to perform and some members still live in the area.
Of course this is only a Top 10 list, but there are several other celebrities, sports icons and political figures that have some connection with Utica, NY. Who else will come out of our fair city? Only time will tell.