UPD Find AK-47 Assault Rifle During Traffic Stop
Utica, NY (WIBX) – An AK-47 Assault Rifle was discovered during a traffic stop in Utica, and police say the suspect is facing multiple weapon and drug charges. Philip Vinci of Dudley Avenue in Utica, was pulled over near Pleasant and Steuben Street yesterday, and arrested for driving on a suspended driver’s license.
It was during a routine search of his vehicle that Utica police uncovered the AK-47 in the trunk of his car. The 40-year-old man’s home was subsequently search and officials allege that they found another illegal firearm–a defaced 9mm handgun. They also found cocaine, xanax, a digital scale and numerous rounds of ammunition during their search.
Vinci is charged with:
- 2 Counts of 2nd Degree Criminal possession of a weapon, Class C felonies
- 2 Counts of 3rd Degree Criminal possession of a weapon, Class D felonies
- 2nd Degree Criminally using drug paraphernalia, a misdemeanor
- 5th Degree Criminal possession of a controlled substance, Class D felony
- 7th Degree Criminal possession of a controlled substance
- 3rd Degree Aggravated unlicensed operation
- No driver’s license
- Not having a controlled substance in its original container