Rome Man Facing Several Felonies Following Several Domestic Disputes
A Rome man is facing several felony charges following an arrest made on the 500 block of W. Liberty Street.
According to Rome Police, 30-year-old Jeffrey E. Smith-Brown was taken into custody after allegedly breaking into his former residence. Upon entering the home, Smith-Brown was detained by a male, unknown to the suspect, while another resident called 911.
When patrol units arrived, Smith-Brown was arrested on a misdemeanor charge of Criminal Trespass, however he was wanted on several other felony charges. The felony charges stemmed from several incidents 4-5 days prior to this incident. One of those instances included an alleged break-in only hours before Smith-Brown's ultimate arrest.
During a recent incident, Smith-Brown allegedly broke into his former residence, assaulted his ex-girlfriend and fled the scene when officers arrived. As he was fleeing, he allegedly hit an officer with his vehicle.
Smith-Brown is facing the following charges:
- NYS PL 215.51(b)(v) Criminal Contempt 1st degree, a class E felony (3 counts)
- NYS PL 140.30(2) Burglary 1st degree, a class B felony
- NYS PL 120.20 Reckless Endangerment 2nd degree, a class A misdemeanor
- NYS PL 140.15(1) Criminal Trespass 2nd degree, a class A misdemeanor
- NYS VTL 1212 Reckless Driving, a misdemeanor
This investigation is ongoing and more charges may be filed.