Griffo Kicks Off Annual Cell Phones For Soldiers Drive
The month-long drive will provide servicemen and women the opportunity to call their loved ones during the holidays.
Griffo says they'll be collecting old cellphones, with proceeds from the recycled devices used to buy long distance calling cards for troops abroad and veterans at home.
He says for every donated phone valued at $5, Cell Phones for Soldiers is able to provide 2 1/2 hours of free talk time to deployed troops via calling cards.
This is the fourth year the drive has taken place. Last year's collected nearly 1,700 cell phones and mobile devices.
“The holidays are traditionally the most important time for active military to keep in touch with family, which makes this an ideal time to donate to this important charity,” said Griffo.
The following is a list of drop-off locations:
- 4777 Commercial Drive, New Hartford
- 1319 Erie Boulevard W, Rome
- 224 N Genesee St., Utica
- Utica Public Library: 303 Genesee St., Utica
- Jervis Public Library: 613 N. Washington St., Rome
- Chanatry’s Hometown Market: 485 French Road, Utica
- Utica State Office Building: 207 Genesee St., Utica
- Turning Stone Resort Casino: 5218 Patrick Road, Verona
- Herb Philipson’s: New Hartford Shopping Center, 1 Center St., New Hartford
- Herb Philipson’s: 1899 Black River Boulevard, Rome
- Lloyds of Lowville: 7405 S. State St., Lowville
- VFW Post 6912: 7744 West State St., Lowville
- Sergi’s Italian Restaurant: 10 Market St., Potsdam
The collection drive runs through December 13th.