One person was hurt when a fast-moving blaze ripped through part of a large apartment building in Kirkwood.

The fire at the Anthos apartment complex on Route 11 was reported at 5:21 a.m. Tuesday.

Investigators believe an unattended candle sparked the fire. (Photo: Bob Joseph/WNBF News)

Five Mile Point fire chief Shawn Skinner said flames were shooting from the second floor on the rear side of the building when the first units arrived.

The blaze was brought under control after about an hour.

One resident was taken to a hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation.

Skinner said there were no reported injuries to firefighters.

Investigators say the fire was started by candles in a second-floor apartment. About 16 candles had been set up on a bedroom floor to spell "I Love You." The occupants then fell asleep with the candles still burning.

Six of the twelve apartments in the building were uninhabitable after the fire. The Red Cross was assisting 19 people who were left homeless.

Five Mile Point firefighters were assisted at the scene by six other Broome County fire departments.

Skinner said the only smoke detector firefighters heard activated was in a hallway.

Investigators say the blaze started in a second-floor apartment. (Photo: Bob Joseph/WNBF News)

For breaking news and updates on developing stories, follow @BinghamtonNow on Twitter.