East Utica Optimist Club Announces 2016 Students of the Year
Back row, left to right - Garrett Nanna, General Herkimer; Maksim Morgun, Albany; Selmedin Bobaric, Conkling; Dylan Fidell, Christopher Columbus; Sie Sie, Jefferson (not pictured) Photo Credit: Gene Ciccolella, East Utica Optimist Club
Ten students are being honored as the "Elementary School Students of the Year" by the East Utica Optimist Club.
Club President Daniel Amado says that the young citizens were selected for their embodiment of the optimist spirit, committed to bringing out the best in themselves and others.
The students were selected by their teachers, principals, and - in some cases - their peers, for the honor. Following introductions by school principals and teachers, each student made a speech - some detailing the challenges they have already faced in their lives - focusing on the future and highlighting their spirit of community.
The students selected for the 2016 ceremony are:
- Mira Barnard, Hughes Elementary
- Selmedin Bobaric, Conkling Elementary
- Genesis Campbell, Watson Williams Elementary
- Dylan Fidell, Columbus Elementary
- Catarina Francesca Healy, Jones Elemenatary
- Garrett Nanna, Herkimer Elementary
- Maksim Morgun, Albany Elementary
- Say Kler Paw, Kernan Elementary
- Sie Sie, Jefferson Elementary
- Eh Blurway Win, King, Jr. Elementary
At last night's event the East Utica Optimist Club, part of Optimist International, also encouraged administrators in the Utica City School District to contact them for fundraising dollars that can be used for specific projects. The club's biggest fundraiser of the year is the E.J. Herrmann Cross-Country Invitational.