Nissan Pulls TV Ad Featuring Race with School Bus Amid Pressure from Parent Groups
Nissan has pulled a television commercial that depicts a father and son racing a school bus to see which one of them arrives at school first. The commercial has caused complaints from school and parent groups because they say that the spot promotes unsafe behavior.
Last week, Utica, NY law firm Brindisi, Murad, Brindisi Pearlman filed a formal complain and started a petition to take down the commercial. "My son understood it was sending the wrong message when we saw it on tv," said attorney Eva Pearlman. Soon after, Pearlman launched an online petition urging Nissan to take down the commercial.
Pearlman, speaking on First News with Keeler in the Morning on WIBX on Monday said over the weekend, she was informed that Nissan was no longer going to run the commercial.
"They are rescinding the ad, pulling the ad off the air," said Peter Manella, Executive Director of the New York State Association of Pupil Transportation. Manella said they're also taking the time to "praise school bus transportation and school bus drivers who work so hard to do a good job for our kids."
Pearlman said there are hundreds of cases every year of people driving through bus stops and ignoring the bus's flashing lights. Drivers who disobey school traffic laws can be ticketed, fined and in some cases, even jailed.
"It's just wrong," said Pearlman.
Listen to the interview here-
Watch the commercial here- _____________________________________________________________________________
Follow Bill Keeler on Facebook