Hazmat Team Responds To Nitric Acid Fumes At UPS In New Hartford
The Utica Fire Department's Special Hazardous Materials Unit was called to the UPS location in New Hartford after a package containing nitric acid ruptured overnight.
New York Mills Fire Chief Rick Ulinski says employees noticed fumes coming from the package and called the fire department after 3:00 am Monday morning.
Ulinski says there were several containers of the acid inside a package, and three were broken or leaking which prompted the call for the hazmat team. Five employees exposed to the fumes were taken to the hospital. Ulinski said no one was seriously injured.