The early morning fire on August 27th at the former Charlestown Mall in Utica wreaked havoc last month on firefighters and residents of the Mohawk Valley. Watch drone footage off the burned out structure.
The former Charlestown Mall in Utica went up in flames on Thursday morning, August 27th, at about 1:00 a.m. according to the Utica Fire Department. Several fire companies participated in attempting to put out the fire that engulfed the entire property.
Congressman Anthony Brindisi says initial air quality checks around the former Charlestown Mall complex have found no hazardous contaminants, no chemicals and no harmful gases in the air and that there is currently no risk to public health.
The two representatives also said while it is fortunate that no lives were lost, they hope that doesn't prevent the EPA from prioritizing the fire in regards to the potentially hazardous substances that may still be emitted from the smoldering site.
The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, along with several other agencies, will be monitoring emissions from the Charlestown Mall fire and evaluate any potential negative impacts on public health and the environment.